Compare Cox Cable with DIRECTV
Direct-Deals.com is not affiliated with Cox Communications and is operated by DirectStarTV, a DIRECTV authorized dealer.
About Cox Cable TV
Atlanta-based Cox Communications provides cable TV, Internet and digital phone services to a total of more than 6 million customers. Sometimes known as Cox Cable, this subsidiary of Cox Enterprises serves a coverage area across 19 states.
Cox Cable originated in the early 1960s when Cox Enterprises purchased cable systems in Pennsylvania, Washington, Oregon and California. Acquisitions of various cable properties – including Times Mirror, Media General and Multimedia Cablevision – contributed to Cox Cable’s growth in the ensuing decades.
Related subsidiaries include Cox Business (commercial telecommunications) and Cox Media (cable advertising). Cox Home Security, launched in 2011, is available in several states.
Cox Cable TV Services
Cox Cable offers video services similar to those of other pay-TV providers. Channel lineups and features depend on location, package selection and other factors.
Cox Cable channels
Cox Cable TV packages offer channel lineups ranging from 10+ to 380+. Programming includes local channels, broadcast affiliates, national networks, international channels, premium movie networks and Music Choice channels. Standard-definition and high-definition programming is offered.
Examples of Cox Cable channels by category include:
- NEWS – HLN, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC
- ENTERTAINMENT – USA Network, BET, CMT, Bravo, TV Land, FX, Comedy Central, AMC, SundanceTV
- EDUCATIONAL – TLC, Smithsonian Channel, HISTORY, Animal Planet, National Geographic Channel
- SPORTS – Big Ten Network, NFL RedZone, Outside Television, ESPN, Cox Sports TV
- LIFESTYLE – Cooking Channel, HGTV, Esquire Network, Logo TV
- PREMIUM – ENCORE®, SHOWTIME®, HBO®, Cinemax®
Cox Cable offers several programming packages. Extra channels and specialty packages not included in base packages are available at additional cost. The selection of base packages includes the following:
Network affiliates and other local channels, plus shopping channels and more. 10+ channels
Local channels, ESPN, HISTORY, TNT and more. 50+ channels
Local channels plus Discovery, Food Network, Music Choice and others. 155+ channels
Local channels plus FXX, ESPN2, CNBC and others. Also includes On Demand. 220+ channels
Advanced TV Preferred
Local channels plus Variety Pak, Disney XD, on-screen program guide and more. 280+ channels
Advanced TV Premier
Local channels, ESPNU, Variety Pak, Sports & Information Pak, Movie Pak and more. 340+ channels
Advanced TV Ultimate
Local channels plus HBO®, STARZ®, SHOWTIME® and Cinemax®. Also includes Record 6 DVR. 380+ channels
Included in the selection of specialty TV Paks available with qualifying packages are:
- Sports & Info Pak – NBA TV, NFL Network, NHL Network and more
- Sports Pak 2 – MLB Network, NFL RedZone, World Fishing Network and more
- Move Pak – More than 1,200 movies per month; EPIX, IFC and other channels
- Variety Pak – BBC America, VH1 Classic, Nicktoons and more
Cox Cable offers Spanish-language base packages such as Paquete Latino (180+ channels), El Mix (260+ channels) and Super Mix (280+ channels).
Optional foreign-language channels for English or Spanish base packages include TV Japan and The Filipino Channel (TFC).
The list of Cox Cable TV features includes:
- On Demand – More than 7,500 titles (available with qualifying packages)
- DVR – Digital recording and playback, with choices for whole-home HD DVR service including Record 2 and Record 6
- Mobile apps – Applications for remote viewing, remote DVR management and more
- Contour – Digital television guide service that includes viewing recommendations
Equipment and installation
Equipment selection includes several types of digital receivers, including HD devices, with options for professional installation or self-installation.
See How Cox Cable Matches Up with DIRECTV
Consumers looking to make the most informed decision about TV service should include multiple providers in their search. For example, you can get a better idea of how Cox Cable measures up to the rest of the industry by comparing its products and services with those of DIRECTV. In this competitive marketplace, you’ll have no trouble finding information to help you weigh the pros and cons.
Sources and Research:
Data collected 12/8/2014 from http://www.cox.com